Sunday, October 24, 2010

Entry #8

A few days ago I read the poem Mother to Son by Langston Hughes. At first when I read the poem I had no idea what Langston Hughes meant by it. When I looked at it again I thought that when Langston Houghes says "life for me aint been no crystal ball." that his life hasn't been easy. He repeats this line over and over many times. Later he says to keep on turning corners and keep on climbing. I think that by this, Langston Hughes means that in bad times if you keep oon going and keep on working hard, good things will happen.

I was also kind of confused about who the people were in the poem. Who was the mother and who was the son? At first I thought Langston Houghes may have been the mother talking to his child. However when I reread this poem, I realized that Langston Hughes was probably the son and his mom was probably the mom in the poem. I now think that the main problem in the poem was that Langston Hughes' mom was a slave. I think that Langston's mom kept on working hard and eventually she was freed. I think that she's telling her son not to give up because something bad happened to him.

I now realize that at first, I completely mis understood the meaning of the poem. Now after rereading the poem, I feel like I under stand it a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment